Stirling 21st - 23rd September 2018
McIlvanney Prize Entry Rules
MCILVANNEY PRIZE 2018 ENTRY
- Publishers may submit up to four titles per imprint. The judges and administrator reserve the right to call in books for consideration.
- Books must have been first published in the United Kingdom between 1st August 2017 and 31st July 2018 to qualify.
- Books previously published in other countries will not be eligible.
- Novels, collections of short stories, and non-fiction crime titles are eligible for submission.
- For the purposes of this prize, a Scottish crime book is eligible if
– A book is written by a writer who is born in Scotland OR
– A book is written by a writer domiciled in Scotland OR
– The book submitted for the award is substantially set in Scotland.
- The Judges’ criteria include originality and innovation, quality of writing, and potential durability.
- Books published as hardback, paperback originals or exclusively as e-books are eligible, either published by publishers, or self-published.
- Entries should be submitted by 5pm on Friday 27th April 2018.
- The submission of an author’s work by the publisher will be taken as agreement by the author that he/she is willing for the submitted work to be considered.
- It is a condition of entry that publishers will : put the award logo and “Winner of The McIlvanney Prize for Scottish Crime Book of the Year 2018” or “Shortlisted for The McIlvanney Prize for Scottish Crime Book of the Year 2018 ” including where appropriate the name(s) of sponsor(s), on the cover of subsequent editions of winning/shortlisted books.
- Publishers will, on request, provide a cover image and author photograph with the necessary clearances for use on the Bloody Scotland web site.
- Publishers will make every effort to ensure that any shortlisted author attends the ceremony on 21st September 2018 in Stirling, and will be available for media interviews before, immediately afterwards and/or on the following morning.
- There is no charge for entering, but there will be a charge of £250+VAT (if applicable) per longlisted title, to cover promotion and marketing of the prize. By entering, publishers agree to pay this contribution should their book be long-listed.
- The long-list will comprise up to twelve books. Publishers will be notified immediately after the organisers meeting in mid-June 2018, only if their book has been longlisted.
- Paper copies of long-listed books should be made available upon request.
- The judges’ decision is final. Neither discussion nor correspondence concerning any decision can be entered into.
- A DRM-free digital copy of each entry (preferably PDF) must be submitted to the Prize Administrators.
- Please submit a PDF of your book to: email@example.com with ‘McIlvanney Prize 2018 Submission_Book Title’ clearly stated in the subject line.
The Caledonian Crime Writing Festival, Scottish Company No SC404578, Registered office: Caledonian Exchange, 19A Canning Street, Edinburgh EH3 8HE.
The Caledonian Crime Writing Festival is a Scottish Registered Charity, known as Bloody Scotland; Charity No SC042615